It’s the end of the year already?! I guess time was only slow when I was a kid wishing that I could be a grownup so all my problems would go away.
At the beginning of the year I had written down some goals I wanted to reach and accomplish in the health and fitness area of my life. I had been setting goals since 2015 and I found that I have been able to do so much more when I make a plan and set some goals. It’s just nice to know that I didn’t just let life pass me by and at least if I didn’t reach my goal I still tried.
So let’s see if I was able to reach any of my goals:
- Complete this fitness journal: YES! This planner has played a huge role in helping me stick to my goals and just keep me accountable
- Maintain weight of 48-50kg: NO. I actually changed it to 52kg as that was more realistic to maintain but I still wasn’t able to maintain that. I binge/emotional eat and that didn’t help.
- Flat abs: NO. Who am I kidding? I love my unhealthy food too much and did way too much emotional eating. (looking back this is a very vague and vain goal…lol but I wanted to achieve this by eating clean and working out)
- 3Variation puhsups: N0. But I was able to do up to 10 regular pushups and 5 tricep pushups! I could barely even do one proper one before.
- Wear a bikini: NOPE. Didn’t happen because I didn’t reach my 3rd goal. Yes, I’ve never worn a bikini in my life.
- Touch toes to floor in rollover: YES!!
- Double leg lift in pilates stance: YUP! I can only do about 10 leg lifts in pilates stance but still way better than the one or two before.
- Full Splits: YES YES YES!
- Headstand: YES. BUT, I didn’t do it in proper form and I injured myself. I sprained my lower back and now I’m scared to get back into trying it. I have a plan to go about it slowly but surely and in the proper form. It’s still my goal!
- Earthquake: YES. It’s so amazing how just working on flexibility and doing POP Pilates every week and the next thing you know you can do something you couldn’t do before.
- Arms gains: Yes. But only about 30% where I want to be. One day I want to learn how to lift weights!
- Talk while working out: YES guuuurl! I became a POP Pilates instructor September this year!
Not bad at all right? I mean I reached 8 out of my 12 goals! But you know what guys, I feel like a failure. I feel like I have failed because I couldn’t reach that one goal of maintaining my weight. I had worked so hard to reach my goal weight since last year and then by the end of this year I had slowly gained it all back. Honestly, I hate how the number on the scale means so much to me. I hate how sometimes I feel so messed up in my head caring so much about my weight.
You know what though? Just because I failed at something it doesn’t mean I’m a failur and it certainly doesn’t mean I will quit everything all together. This is not the end of my journey. I will pick myself up and continue to work on bettering myselfs physically and especially emotionally and mentally. I will fight that voice in my head telling me the scale is all that matters.
I will look at the bright side. I mean hellooo, look at the other 8 goals I’ve reached! I have even accomplished other things that wasn’t on my goal list. I was able to get into the teaser, increase my flexibility tremendously, completed PIIT28 1.0 and 2.0, I turned 30 the fittest and healthiest I have ever been, I become a POP Pilates instructor (wuuuut?!), OH OH oh ANNNND I met Cassey Ho in person!!!!
My victories trump my failures – and that’s what I will focus on.
So yes, I will and I hope you too will reflect on this past year and be proud of your victories, learn from your failures and take the good from this year. Let us give ourselves a fresh start in 2017.
Please share with me. What were your victories and highlights of this past year? (It doesn’t have to be health or fitness related)